Friday, October 7, 2011

Keep Austin Weird

It's been a long time since I have posted some photography, so have a happy Photo Friday with these! Jon and I went to Austin, Texas last week for a good friend's wedding and had an absolute fabulous time. I was a bridesmaid, and knew I would be too busy to take some shots on the wedding day with my SLR (which I really regret!), but I was able to take it out the next day when Jon and I did a bike tour in Austin, Texas. 

Biking around a city is a great way to get to see what the city is all about, and this tour was no exception. We met some amazing people, and saw some very weird things, which I guess is fitting to "Keep Austin Weird". As we were looking at the city, Jon made a new friend that decided to share his bicycle with him. We also saw our share of cows that speckle the city, each one with a different artist's interpretation on them.

And how could I regret posting this fabulous photo of a new emerging sport we stumbled upon! Jon and I deemed it Kayak Paddle Battle - a mix of water polo and extreme kayaking, guaranteed to debut in the Olympics, 2040. We also had the chance to visit one of my favorite restaurant's: Walton's Fancy & Staple. Sandra Bullock, can you please open one in San Diego??! With $2.00 mimosas, how can one go wrong?

On a side note, I am sure Steve Jobs deserves an entire post all his own. However,  I really don't think I would be able to accurately articulate just how much of an impact the man has made on my life, and especially my career. So instead, I will choose to feature an excerpt from a dear friend, and one of the most talented writers I know - Alexandra Kogan. Kogs, thank you for this; I would never have been able to say it better:

"Steve Jobs died today. 

It's kind of hard to wrap your brain around the death of a cultural icon, particularly someone as larger-than-life-yet-achingly-human as Steve Jobs. I understand now how people felt about John Lennon's death; as a child, the magnitude of his passing didn't hit me as hard as it seemed to adults. 

For the generation before me, John Lennon symbolized rebellion, peace, counter culture, youthful idealism, creativity and willingness to stick one's neck out for one's beliefs, no matter how many people hated you for them. People could identify important moments of their lives with his music...and his death caught everyone completely off guard. 

With Steve Jobs, it's a little different in that we all pretty much knew he wasn't going to be around for much longer, particularly in the past few months. But his passage is equally huge, at least in terms of how very much his influence, his vision (and probably his marketing skills) have influenced our lives.

Jobs was nothing short of a Gen X icon; from his ad campaigns which cultivated our inherent quirky difference to his living proof that you could be a college dropout and still amount to something. My generation never really had much love 20 years ago; we were branded as losers, slackers, ne'er do wells and generally targeted as being destined to wear name tags and hairnets for the rest of our miserable existences. Apple (albeit without Steve Jobs some of the most pivotal years for Gen Xers) gave us a platform to claim as our own...and use to make something with.

No wonder so many of us became graphic designers and writers.

And so, I bid a bittersweet farewell to Steve Jobs. For all the good...the not so good...and sometimes, the downright ugly...I can't imagine what my life would have been without him. Or the world we live in, for that matter.

And I don't expect anyone to fill his shoes...but there's someone out there who didn't finish college, who resolutely refuses to follow the herd, who makes mistakes and learns from them and who follows his heart before anything else who is going to change the world.

The world needs its visionaries. And we lost one today. But there will be another one. And another one. Innovation...and the idominable human spirit...is not owned or necessarily embodied by one person, as much as they can be exemplified by one."

A.

-Alexandra Kogan
an excerpt from: Steve Jobs, Gen X and me

To view the article in its entirety, click here.